BA (Hons), Dip. Teaching, JP
Canterbury born and bred, Jan has over 30 years experience in the fields of teaching, advocacy and human relations. Her background includes nursing, personnel work, teaching, social work, union organizing and communication skills tutoring. She has worked in hospitals, schools, universities, polytechnics and industry. This varied work experience enables her to engage and work with all age groups and cultures in the community.
Jan is a fun-loving, positive person who believes in people’s ability to honestly confront issues whether they are personal or business related. Her extensive skill base allows her to help unlock practical, creative, innovative solutions to difficulties.
Jan specializes in the areas of communication, mediation, training and education. She is
- a qualified teacher
- a trained mediator experienced in resolving conflict
- skilled in addressing employment related issues
- a trained assessor and moderator of NZQA Unit Standards
- an experienced facilitator
- a tutor in communication skills
- a speed reading expert
Jan is an excellent communicator. She
- is an experienced team worker
- is an effective leader of educational groups
- listens actively, consults willingly and addresses groups clearly and concisely
- assesses situations accurately
- fosters creative and innovative solutions
- has excellent group facilitation skills
- successfully assists groups with strategic planning
Jan uses facilitation, negotiation, mediation and advocacy skills effectively to resolve conflicts or disputes between individuals, groups, and communities and within workplaces. Her sense of humour helps defuse tense situations.
Jan enhances workplace relations and work performance through the development of teamwork, teambuilding and time management skills. She also conducts communication audits for employers.
A significant influence on Jan’s communication skills and ability to mediate comes from the training she had with Dudley Weeks, an internationally renowned expert in conflict resolution
Jan also teaches communication skills including
- interpersonal communication
- report writing
- business communication
- rapid reading
From 2007 Jan has worked as a Lead Evaluator for the External Evaluation and Review Quality Assurance Division of the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA).
In effect she is currently a ‘silent partner’ in the Davey Muir & Associates partnership.